Life of a confused girl.

Monday, September 03, 2007

Easter Seals

The past six weeks I have been living in Des Moines, Iowa working for the Easter Seals at Camp Sunnyside (http://ia.easterseals.com). Camp Sunnyside has several camps running during the summer, they have a resident camp that is for children and adults with disabilities, a teen camp that is for teens with disabilities, and they also have a day camp for children with and without disabilities. I worked most of the time at the day camp because I loved seeing the children with and without disabilities interact. Most of the time you could never tell if a child had a disability. It was so much fun playing with the children all day and learning how to over come the challenges that comes with working with children with disabilities. The first few weeks I had my hair pulled, bit, hit, thrown in to the walls, and sat on by a child twice my size. But half way through the project I learned how to get myself out of that situation with the children and how to calm a child down before they get to the point of hitting. I have learned so much about disabilities and about myself while at this project. The children and adults taught me a lot and I hope I was able to return it.

This round I was with a different team Fire 7 and I had so much fun with all of them. They were all so much fun and we all seemed to get along. There was no drama which was really nice. I am going to miss this team.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home